Its hard to fit something new into our busy schedules sometimes. Its also hard to make a new habit stick. Heres some ways to keep yourself going, after the starting novelty has worn off.
- Seek Peer Pressure – Join a group or train with a friend, having a time and date planned is a strong motivator.
- Race – sign up to a race, set this as your target goal. For example a 5K or a 10K.
- Reward yourself – when you hit a milestone or a target, treat yourself. Whether that be a chocolate bar, a holiday or a day off! Once you’ve reached that target, set your next.
- Enlist support from family and friends – get your friends or family to support your goals and keep you on track. Educate them on what you want to achieve and let them help you.
- Add variety – Mix up your training. Try a new route, or a different type of training. Go on a bike ride or a swim one day instead of a run.
- Accept bad runs – Learn to appreciate that not all runs are going to feel good. On bad days, slow your pace or shorten your distance or time. Learn to put bad runs behind us, accept them and move on with a positive attitude.